Monday, November 01, 2004

Fairy Tale Commentary

The fairy tale displacement that I chose to discuss on my website is "Evil in the Mountains" by Kelby Fisher. It is actually more of a regular fairy tale, but I chose it because of how much of it reminded me of Brothers Grimm stories. Throughout the entire story I was struck by how likely it would be that if the Brothers Grimm were alive today, it would be something that they might write.
The main connection I see in Kelby's fairy tale is to The Juniper Tree. In his story a boy gets killed by a demonic young girl as a sacrifice to ravens that come and eat his body. In the end, this boy's ghost comes back and kills the demonic girl before she sacrifices another person. The girl is impaled on a tree and then disappears. The boy then walks out of the woods and returns home without an explanation of what happened to him.
The reason this reminds me of the Juniper Tree is the boy getting eaten and then his ghost coming back to exact revenge. I think this story was mainly created without another story in mind, but you can still see the influence of other stories in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home